Friday, December 12, 2008

Those Sweet Reminders

Christmas is always a tough time of year for kids. The anticipation of waiting for Santa to come. Trying extra hard to be good. Acting out because it seems like Christmas morning will NEVER come. It's hard being a kid. Add to that the excitement and craziness of waiting for a baby to come and you've pretty much summed up our house.

It seems to me that my kids have lost the ability to say "please". Tantrums from the younger two are more apparent. Disobedience seems to abound. Fighting is daily. Sometimes I get so frustrated with the kids, but then I have to try and remember things from their perspective. They have a lot going on in their lives right now. Their world is about the change forever and they are not sure what all that entails. Mom is tired and sore a lot, her patience is less, and she can't do all the fun things she used to. Dad just finished tithing settlement and has been busy going to work at early early hours to get in as much time before the baby comes. Mom and Dad are both anxious and excited for the big change too, which means they tend to overreact at times.

That is why I am so grateful for people outside of our home who constantly tell me what good kids I have. I know my children are good people, I just need to be reminded of that at times. I know I overreact at times and think they are just being monsters, but overall they are great kids. They have their bad moments like anyone and right now they have a lot going on. Christmas is coming, baby is due to arrive whenever, and Dad is busy being bishop. That's a lot for them. I think they've handled it all so well.

I also enjoy those little tender moments when I see what good people they are becoming. Wednesday I took the kids to the store to get the baby's car seat. We also ended up picking out presents for the baby too. The kids have been begging to buy presents for "Baby Jacob". They had so much fun looking at baby toys and making their selections. They made plans for playing with the baby. They are just so excited to meet him and love him. And they try their best to help out mom when she is too tired or sore to do much. They look out for me. On Monday night we had the Relief Society president stopped by for a quick chat with Marshall. The kids all know her because she stops by a lot seeing as how she is the bishop's right hand woman. Anna heard part of their conversation and asked if everything was all right. Marshall told her that they were just talking about some people who may not have money to buy Christmas presents. Anna's immediate response was "Well, we can use some of our money to buy presents for them!" I am often reminded how sweet my children are.

Even though this time of year is hard for them with Christmas and the baby coming, they are doing their best. They are precious little children who brighten my life daily with their creativity and sense of humor. I would be so void without them and I would not be a better person if it wasn't for all they teach me. I am grateful for each of their personalities and the flavor they bring to our home. And I am proud of them for being such great kids.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I agree, you do have great kids.