Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What will they think of next?

I was having my usual Tuesday night fun of playing around on the Internet while my husband was at church when I came across this very disturbing article in Newsweek about gay marriage and the Bible. The author is obviously pro-gay marriage and writes about how the Bible is not a good guideline for marriage. All the funky Bible marriage examples are cited, like the having of numerous wives, Jacob, Leah, and Rebbecca, and even a reference to how King David may have been gay. It's also mentioned about how Paul looked down upon marriage as a last resort to control one's passion and that even the Savior himself was single and taught that family wasn't very important. Who in their right mind would use the Bible to justify marriage between a man and woman? Who would even want a Bible type marriage? (or so the author argues).

Wow! I think I am still trying to comprehend this article. It's like watching a car accident unfold in front of you and think "Did I just see that? Can't be." I still am a little dumb struck by this author's article because I can't believe it. There are so many points he makes that fire me up and make me want to cringe at the same time.

But I will say this, thank goodness for a living prophet. Thank goodness for the Book of Mormon. And praise be given for modern revelation. How confusing it must be to think the heavens are closed and all one has to rely on for knowledge is the Bible with all it's various corruption. A book that people can take and use to show it's support on either side of the gay marriage issue. I know where I stand because I've heard it many times from the prophet that marriage is between a man and woman. That's a pretty simple statement and hard to make pro-gay marriage. People can try to justify their leaning otherwise, but the truth is obvious. Um, unless you're an idiot or completely lost the spirit, there's no room for interpretation about what "marriage between a man and woman" means. Okay?

I am so glad I know the truth. I am so glad I have all the above mentioned gifts in my life. There is no guessing, I know. So even when I read disturbing articles like this one, I can say "Wow! This is an interesting twist, but I'm not buying it" and move on. You can read the article and tell me what you think. And hopefully you'll also come out being grateful for the fact that the heavens are opened to us and we do know the truth.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653/page/1
(sorry about having to cut and paste, but the link option is being goofy)

No comments: