Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Calgon . . Take Me Away!!!!!


I remember being a kid and seeing those "Calgon . . take me away" commercials. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Some woman would be in a stressful situation and then say "Calgon. Take me away." because a nice hot soak with Calgon would get rid of all her stress and tension. Well today was definitely a Calgon day.

It all started when we went to the library for story time. An innocent outing that turned into one angry tear filled situation. You see, the library claims that I have lost a book that I know I turned in. This happened to us two years ago. We tore our house a part looking for said book, but never found it and ended up paying the fee. A year later the library called to let us know the book had been found on their shelves and they would pay us back for the book, but not the $5 dollars we paid for the processing fee of the lost book. When Marshall went to get the reimbursement, the library people were very snooty about giving the money back, but he got it after venting his frustration about their incompetence. This is why we now check off all books we return to the library on our library slip. If we can't find one, we search until we do. So here we are again. I know I turned the book in and even have searched and searched to find it, but have had no success. I completely forgot about all this until I went to check out books with the kids. I was told I couldn't get my books out because I had a fine for the lost book. I explained to them the situation and how I know I turned the book in and then was treated as if I wasn't being honest. I thought it was innocent until proven guilty. In fact, after telling me I couldn't check out books, the worker just left his desk. Thanks for hearing me out. So I just left my pile of books on the counter and left. My kids were upset, especially Jimmy, because he wanted to get the Trash Truck book out from the library. They didn't understand why we couldn't get out our books. Me either. On the way home I just burst into tears because I was so upset at being treated wrongly. Grrrrr.

Then this afternoon poor Anna came home from school in a rush. She had to use the potty badly, but just missed making it. Dang! I remember that happening to me a few times as a kid and it was so embarrassing. So she had to shower and I had a floor of pee the clean up. Not to mention Jacob being on his I-lost-counting outfit due to either spit-up or pee. Or Rachel who cannot keep herself away from her baby brother to save her life. If we would let her, she would climb all over him and smother him with kisses. I am glad she loves him, but she needs to chill.

Tonight Marshall had to go home teaching and so I did bed time on my own. I do it quite often on my own, but the kids have been turkeys about it lately. Jimmy cried when I put him down because he was scared and wanted the light on. I put it on low and he cried because it was scary. Then we put it on high and he cried because it was scary. Meanwhile Jacob was crying to be fed. So I just let Jimmy watch a show in our room while I nursed the baby. All the while the girls were bouncing off their walls during "reading time". Bedtime has become a joke for the girls. It's more like "I'll keep coming out of my room until flames shoot out of Mom's eyes and death threats spew forth from her lips" time. At this point I feel like one of those many frazzled women you read about in humor columns or books. But it was reality.

It's just been one of those days. I know it'll get better. And I do love my children. They are precious. (But don't tell me right now that I'll miss this age or I will bop you one.) I would love to bury my face into a hot fudge sundae or cheesecake, but I'm trying to be good. A hot bath would be heavenly. "Calgon, take me away". (preferably to a place where there are no diapers needing to be changed or bossy children.)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I understand.
I wish I could help you. Sometimes it is tough. You have such a wonderful family, and I'm so glad I know you.

mathmom said...

Sue, I remember those commercials, and I wish it were that easy. I agree, bedtime is a bear, especially when we have to do it alone. Hang in there. Sometimes you just have to stop and laugh at it because, well, some day it will be funny...right?

Anonymous said...

I'll join in on a hot fudge sundae anytime!

annjeanette said...

I'll meet you for a hot fudge sundae anytime, anywhere. Especially after "one of those days."