Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Trick

They say you can teach an old dog new tricks and I am finding that to be true. Okay, so I am not an "old dog", rather a "hot mama", but I am learning something new. I am learning after all these years how to be humble. I am not talking about me going around and no longer boasting of my greatness. I let other people do that for me. I am talking about being able to ask for help and let people serve me. I didn't realize how hard it was for me until now. But I am being forced, thanks to Jacob, to be better at it.

I have had so many offers from people willing to watch the kids. Normally I would be afraid to ask because I wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone, but I am learning that I am only human after all (bummer) and, therefore, do have my limits. Life is busy, my husband is busy, and I need help. So I was very proud of myself on Monday morning when I called my neighbor and asked her if Anna could go with them to the bus stop: Baby step number one. The past couple of mornings they have taken Anna with them to the bus stop, saving me the hassle of getting four kids, one being a baby, out the door to the stop. Since we live on a dead end street, the nearest bus stop is in the adjoining neighborhood. So to get Anna there we usually drive on the cold mornings. I am so grateful to my kind neighbors who have been giving her a ride. It's made my mornings so much easier.

Baby step number two: Today I was feeling rather tired out from the morning so I called sweet Darci, who sits with my kids on Sundays and has offered her help numerous times, to see if she could watch Jimmy and Rachel so I could rest. She was more than willing to come over so I could nap. She took them to the park, played games, and read stories with them. Way more fun than I am right now. And Darci told me she had a blast doing it. I was able to get a much needed nap and feel better. She made me promise to call again if I need any help. I am so grateful to her for her kindness.

I think part of growing up is realizing there are times in life when you can't do everything, when you need help. I am learning that I do have limits and that it is okay to say "I can't do it on my own." I am imperfect after all. I am so blessed by the kind people around me who are willing to help me out. I am learning, ever so slowly, to be humble.

5 comments:

Jarrod said...

We are so happy to help, just one more kid in the car is all, no biggie. You have to love Darci, she is so sweet! Good job on the new trick, I am still convinced that you have a little bit of superhuman in you.

Anonymous said...

I know how hard it is to ask for help. I remember struggling after I had Hailey and people kept offering and I wouldn't except. Then Jon told me that I was denying them their blessings from serving me and that I needed to allow them to be blessed. My whole attitude changed and it was such a relief to have the added help. I wish I was there to help you. We always loved having your kids over. But remember, I am only a phone call away, so call me when ever you need to 'vent'.
Much love,
Robyne

annjeanette said...

Sue, I am SO proud of you!! Even though you are almost superhuman, I am glad that you are learning that there is part of you that is still human, like the rest of us! You still are amazing. I wish I lived a bit closer, because I'd have your kids all the time. And I wouldn't wait for you to call. I would come kidnap them! :D So maybe it is a good thing that I don't live there. Or my own husband would have to have me arrested. :D love you.

Stephanie Black said...

Way to go, Sue!

Bonnie said...

That's great, Sue. I'm glad you have so many people available to help you.