Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Kind of Humor

I love signs. I do! I love the cutesy little signs that say something funny or profound that people have in their homes. I am a sign junkie. I have one that says "One Day at A Time" hanging over my back door because I need a visual reminder to look at things on a daily level. However, I am selective in my sign loving. I am not a fan of those cheesy signs that are dripping in sugary sweet sentiments, like "All Because Two People Fell In Love" or "Always Kiss me Goodnight". (sorry if you have one.) I don't need to remember to kiss my husband at night and he sure as heck better not need a sign to tell him to do the same. Or "Happiness is being married to your best friend." (gag!) Any loving feelings my husband and I have for each other, I'd rather not have advertised around the house.

Every month I get a catalog in the mail that has some of the best signs. The sayings are great and just make me laugh. The signs are for real people, like me, who don't always feel so euphoric about life and family. Due to copyright laws, I can't copy the actual signs, but I can share the sayings. The signs themselves are very cute, but the sayings are not your usual lovey dovey stuff. Here are a few of my favorite:

1. "I love you more than I did yesterday . . . because yesterday you really pissed me off!" We all feel that way sometimes. What a great take on a cheesy sign.

2."Housework never killed anyone, but why take a chance." So true.

3. "Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a chicken." Raising kids is very rewarding, but some days you do feel like you are being pecked to death. It's just such a perfect description. I often feel this way when my kids are all demanding something at once. Ah!

4. "Put your Big Boy boxers on and deal with it!" I hate whiners and am always telling my husbands that people need to suck it up. Just another way of saying the obvious.

5. "Bed & Breakfast: You Make Both" Can't wait until my kids can DO both!

6. "Laundry Today or Naked Tomorrow" Amen! Praise be to the people who do laundry in the house, whether it be mom or dad. Without them we'd be naked and that would just be plain scary. I also can't wait until my kids can do their own!

Well, you may think me crazy, but these signs make me laugh. It's nice to know there are people out there who think like I do and aren't always so loving and perfect sounding.

2 comments:

judy said...

I love the Bed & Breakfast - You make Both sign. I wish it was like that in my house, but alas, I have spoiled by husband rotten!

annjeanette said...

I love it!!! I feel the same way that you do. And I wouldn't be surprised to find some of those in your house. Love it!