Monday, January 26, 2009

Wii Are Obsessed


For some time we have been debating getting a Nintendo Wii. Marshall's brother has one and it is fun, but did we really want to spend that much money on a video game system? Well, then this thing called Wii Fit came out and that caught my attention. You see, I am an exercise fanatic. I love to be active and not being able to exercise is sheer torture for me. I know, I'm insane. But I fully admit it.

Anyhow, my recovery time from the baby is almost up (two weeks!) and I have been debating what to do for exercise. I wasn't too impressed with the gym I had been going to before my pregnancy took over and I was too sick/ tired to go. And nothing else really seemed to jump out at me. I do better going to the gym if I have someone else to go with because I know they are counting on me to be there. But no one around here wants to get up at 5:30 to go exercising with me. For rude! Plus if I miss a morning, it's hard to make it up at night with my husband's busy schedule.

Enter the Wii Fit. (I'm sure my hsuband is glad it was invented because it convinced me to get a Wii.) I started to consider it because overall it would be much cheaper than the gym. Plus I can do it at home, which opens up a lot more options. But my worry was if it was going to be a good work-out. I still planned on walking/ running on the trails near our house, but I didn't want to spend lots of money on something I'd never use. I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

Saturday night we hired a sitter so we could go out to dinner and Wii hunt. We ended up taking the plunge and buying the Wii Fit too. And I have to say that I love it! I love to exercise, as I said above, but the Wii Fit makes it even more fun. In the beginning you get weighed and it tells you where you fall on the Body Mass Index chart. Then you set a goal to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain amount of time. I was so happy to do the Hula Hoop Toss and find out I was doing the same ab aerobic exercise that we did in my old aerobics class. Wii Fit has strength and balance training, yoga, and aerobics. And it is all fun! There is ski jumping, soccer, tight rope walking, etc. all designed to help with balance and toning. In the aerobics section you can even do a running in place activity where it monitors your pace. And the whole time you get to watch fun things on the tv on your run. I love it! And it is great for my husband who suffers from never getting that exercise "high" and so hates to exercise. He has been on the Wii Fit a lot. It's great! Not to mention the kids. They love to play the games. Rachel and Anna rock at bowling. Jimmy is just too cute to watch. He doesn't care that he isn't very good at ski jumping (because he can't stay still), he's just excited to see an Jimmy Mii on-screen in an orange shirt.

It's always nice when you make a big purchase that is a wise one. I am so glad we got our Wii and Wii Fit. Mixing video games with exercise is genius. No wonder they are selling like hot cakes. It'll be fun to get more games, but I am going to keep busy doing my Wii Fit and unlocking all sorts of new exercise games. Watch our for a fit Mii!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I agree the Wii and the Wii fit are great. We love ours. Enjoy it, they are so much fun.