Saturday, January 3, 2009

Can't Say Enough Good Things

It's been one week since Jacob was born and I have survived so far. I attribute most of that to my wonderful husband and all his help. Anyone who knows me well knows that change makes me nervous and so I was very anxious about Jacob's arrival. How would I handle having three active kids and a newborn? How would life be now with Marshall working full-time and being bishop? Would I ever be functional again? You see, the last time we had a baby Marshall was in law school and had quite a lot of free time. So I was pretty nervous about how things would go this time around. My husband reassured me numerous times that things would be fine. I know one week down doesn't say a lot, but I wouldn't have been able to do so well this week without Marshall's help. He is just amazing. So, yeah, you have to listen about me talk about how awesome my husband is again. (It could be worse. I could go off on him in a negative way. But that wouldn't be much of a blog because there wouldn't be a lot to say.)

Marshall has been so great at taking care of the kids this week. I think he pretty much stunned my mom and sisters when they learned he had worked lots at the beginning of the month so he could be home more when the baby came. Not to mention how they were blown away that he arranged for people to watch the kids when he did have to run into work after the baby came. I didn't tell them how he's been trying to keep some semblance of order in our home. Last night he mopped the kitchen floor and had three helpers right there with him. He even ran to the store to buy nursing pads and other womanly things for me after the baby was born. He is just incredible.

Through all the big changes and challenges in our married life, Marshall has always expressed great confidence and faith in me. This new change with Jacob arriving is no exception. I have doubted my ability to handle four kids at times this week. I have wondered if I will ever feel human again or fit into my clothes once more. Each time I have expressed my concerns, he has always answered me back with unfailing confidence in my abilities as a mom. He tells me daily how good I look and how my stomach gets smaller. He expresses great faith in my having to juggle the responsibilities of being a bishop's wife with four young kids. I greatly appreciate and cherish the uplifting words he showers upon me daily. He is one incredible and positive person. It's actually starting to rub off on me after all these years!

Of course, I am extremely grateful for the kind people who have watched my kids and brought us meals. They have made this week go so much smoother. But I am forever in awe of the wonderful husband I have and how he serves me and shows his love for me daily. Without him I would be so lost.

No comments: