Thursday, May 28, 2009

It's Good to Be Me (this time)

Being a bishop's wife is an interesting experience. There are many times when I wish I could switch with my husband just to get out of the house and away from my little darlings. I get so desperate that I wouldn't care if I had someone confess their deepest darkest sins to me, just get me away from the kids for a few hours please! There are those times when I do get jealous of my husband's long hours away from home doing good and having spiritually building experiences. There are some tough days when the kids have pushed me to my limit and our home is anything but spiritual. Yet, it does have it's perks. My baby is probably the most popular baby in the ward and since I am busy in Primary, I have many eager people willing to hold my little chubby guy.

However, right now I am glad I am me and not my husband, the bishop. He is currently off camping with our youth for youth conference in the sweltering heat of Nevada. When I talked to my sweetie upon his arrival to camp his first words to me were "It's so hot! We're all just soaked with sweat." Rock on!

Yeah, I'd rather be left behind. First, I hate to be hot. (I know, I live in St. George.) I do not like to be sweaty and sticky. Second, I do not like to camp. My idea of camping better have running water, a fan, and a soft bed with no insects involved. Give me a hotel any day, please! Third, I am being spoiled by various friends and family who have invited me to dinner, watched the kids, and so on.

It will be interesting to see how the next two nights go. I am a weenie at heart and keep myself up to all hours of the night with fears of the boogie man when Marshall is away. No amount of pillows and blankets can make up for the absence of my husband in bed. It's just not him and so I don't feel safe. This time I got smart. Since we can't go camping with Dad, we're having our own camp-out downstairs. We borrowed a bunch of sleeping bags from Grandma and are going to sleep in the family room. Maybe being surrounded by my little ones will help me drift off to sleep. It can't be worse than how I sleep on my own! I'll probably be so tired from trying to get them to settle down that I'll just conk out, right before the baby wakes up, of course.

But it's still good to be me. I'm not jealous this time around. I miss him, but I don't envy him. Hopefully he's off building some great memories with the youth. And one more bonus to being me is that I am getting my much awaited pedicure on Saturday afternoon, for only $9. If I can survive the next two days then I can relax while my tootsies are being pampered. Maybe I'll have to sign my husband up for one when he gets back because I'm sure he'll be beat. Just another reason why it's good to be me.

1 comment:

Stephanie Black said...

I'm with you on camping. It seems like no matter how fun it is during the day, once you try to go to sleep, you're either too hot or too cold and you're sleeping on a rock. Or it rains. And all you can do is think, how many more hours until morning?