Monday, May 4, 2009

The Quest for Super Powers


After Jimmy finished up his eggs and pancakes at breakfast this morning, he came to me to get his sticky hands wiped off. We had the following conversation:

Jimmy: What does sticky mean?(Great question, right? How do you describe sticky without using sticky in the description or big words that a three year-old can't understand?)

Me: Um, that your skin sticks to things.

Jimmy: Like walls?

Me: (chuckling because I know where this is leading) No.

Jimmy: How can you stick to walls like Spiderman?

Me: You need to get super spider powers.

Rachel: Or you can get big suction cups to climb walls!

Poor Jimmy. He so wants to have super hero powers. (I did too as a kid. I remember watching "Wonder Woman" with Linda Carter on tv and then going behind our shed outback to spin my heart out with the hopes that I would burst into Wonder Woman. Never happened.) I am not about to tell him Spiderman got his powers by being bit by a radio-active spider. That would either: 1. make him more scared of spiders for fear he'd get bit and starting shooting webs or 2. make him chase spiders around in the hopes of getting bit. That wouldn't end up well. Thanks a lot Stan Lee! Instead, we'll have to keep thinking of new ways to get super powers. Though pancake syrup covered hands is pretty creative!

No comments: