Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Overcoming a little fear

I hate asking questions or looking for help in stores. I guess I just don't want to come across as some clueless idiot (especially in a home improvement type store) or become victim to the customer service rep from Hades. Plus I hate pushy sales people and would rather just be left to my own leisure.

All of that has changed. I am getting to know the guys at Home Depot pretty well. I know I am getting old when one of my favorite stores is a home improvement one. But we've been busy doing projects and I need supplies and knowledge. Instead of steering clear from those helpful workers, I now answer their "Can I help you?" with the list of supplies I need for my latest project. I have learned about grout sealing, wood sealants, and dishwashers. It's been great. (Finding out about the dishwashers was the most fun. The man helping me had quite the dry humor. It was a blast. And yes, we are getting a new dishwasher soon since our's is on it's last leg. I am SO excited to replace it.) Everyone has been very helpful. It's not scary at all to seek assistance.

So my fear of asking for help in stores is gone. I am all about learning. It makes my life easier and my trip to the store faster. I can't wait until I start my little "handy woman" course. Then I'll be practically living at Home Depot with all the projects I come up with! (And believe me, I do have a list)

1 comment:

Stephanie Black said...

Hooray for a new dishwasher! I think that's so cool that you're taking a home repair course.