Monday, May 4, 2009

Why Men Need the Priesthood

I've heard numerous times the complaint that it's unfair and sexist that women do not have the priesthood in the LDS church. Why can't females be given that divine power? Why does all that "glory" reside with the men? It just doesn't make sense, so I've heard. Foolish people! I feel completely the opposite. It makes perfect sense. In fact, men need to have the priesthood in order to have that spiritual connection with and power from God that women naturally come by. It would be unfair otherwise.

We recently had Stake Conference and as a result I was inspired by some of the talks to make some changes in our prayers as a family and a couple. The results have been amazing and very beneficial. It got me thinking about our home and how 99.9% of the time it is I who receives revelation concerning our children and the way we run our home. Why is that? Well, it makes perfect sense. I am the one who is at home and around the kids more than my husband. I am more aware of my children and their needs. As my father-in-law put it, Marshall may preside in the home as the priesthood holder, but I am the commander. And it's true.

But let's take it a step further. The whole purpose of our Heavenly Father's plan is centered on family. And who in the marriage gets to deal directly with the family? The mom. I am the one who is daily working with our children, serving them from the first day they are created, teaching, and caring for them. Now changing a diaper isn't spiritual or fun in any sense, but many of the other opportunities and experiences I have throughout the day are. And it all is service. For the most part I am at home, in a spiritual environment and learning ground, surrounded by innocent people. Not to mention the whole process of being pregnant and giving birth. It is impossible to not be humbled and overwhelmed with the feeling of life moving inside of you, to know that you are directly involved in creation. Or the power and awe that comes from bringing that life into the world. Yes, it hurts and is messy, but it is truly an incredible experience to take part of, putting your trust in the Lord and physically bringing that baby into the world. Words cannot describe it. On a whole we as women have the opportunity to have numerous spiritual experiences with the divine.

On the contrary, our husbands have life a little bit harder. Although Marshall does his role by providing for our family, his work with the family is more indirect. He gets to go out and face the harsh world and it's inhabitants on a daily basis. No sweet little toddler kisses, baby smiles, or homemade cards for him. He misses out on all those tender moments during the day. Pregnancy and birth are completely different for him. He gets to watch his wife be sick, uncomfortable, and then in lots of pain. He cannot experience those feelings of life inside of him or the triumph of birth. And even when the baby comes, the baby prefers mom because he knows her voice and knows she will care for him. Dad is an afterthought until a few months later.

Since men miss out on all these direct experiences with and serving of the family, and all the spiritual and learning experiences that come with them, they need the priesthood. They need to have some way to distance themselves from the world and reconnect with the divine. They need to have the ability to serve, and to serve in a way only they can render. It seems only fair that my husband has something as equally glorious that is all his own that he brings to our family. What better way to sacrifice and serve than through the priesthood power? To seal families forever, to baptize, heal the sick, bless the sacrament, or stand as a judge in Israel. Mother are and should be anxiously engaged in a good cause that keeps them close to the Lord. Men have the opportunity to do the same with the priesthood.

I've never been jealous that my husband has a power I don't. (And after seeing me go through four pregnancies and deliveries, I don't think he's jealous of my power either!) I am glad he has a way to connect with the Lord and to serve others. Together, as a mother and a righteous priesthood holder, we bring a spiritual powerhouse to our family that protects us from the dangers of the world and brings us closer to the divine.

4 comments:

Stephanie Black said...

Sue, this is so beautiful and so profound! Thanks for a great blog.

Bonnie said...

Well said, Sue. Great blog!

Kevin Miller said...

Excellent thoughts Sue! I wish the ladies at Feminist Mormon Housewives could read it :)

Very nice job on the blog!

judy said...

This would make a great Fireside talk or an article for the Ensign. I agree with Stephanie, Bonnie and Kevin. You are a talented writer Sue.