Saturday, August 8, 2009

Just a cupcake to me


As part of our date last night we went to get dessert at a little cafe called "25 Main". We have heard from various people that their cupcakes are amazing. So good in fact that one of Marshall's good friends would drive 25 minutes both ways from his house to get one. Needless to say, our curiosity was peaked.

When we arrived we found that their only dessert was cupcakes. I was hoping they'd be big or something, but they were just your normal size cupcake. Since we bought our's after 8pm we only paid half price for our treats, $1 per cupcake instead of $2. After eating our cupcakes we both turned to each other and said "It was good, but it was still a cupcake." No matter how you decorate and disguise it, a cupcake is what it is. We just didn't find the magic.

When it comes down to it, it all lies in preferences. I like cake and have had some pretty darn good cake in my life, but it wasn't worth spending $2 for something I can make 24 of at home for the same price. Maybe I'm just not posh enough. But if I am going to buy a dessert, I want to it to "wow" me. I want it to be something that takes a lot of time and effort for me to make at home and well worth the shortcut. For example, I love cheesecake and have no qualms about shelling out $4 for a slice of it on occasion. To make it at home would cost more and be just plain annoying since I don't have the proper tools. Or I love fancy ice cream places like Cold Stone. Again, not something I can easily make myself. That is totally worth my money. But a cupcake, eh.

Sorry if you think those cupcakes are to die for, but I just don't get it. Dessert is too special to waste on a cupcake. I'll stick to my cheesecake instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could have bought a cake mix and made your own for a $1. Sorry, I am not a fan of cupcakes myself. I would much rather have a Hot fudge Brownie Sundae!