Friday, November 21, 2008

The Blessings of Service

I had a blog all written about my crabby two-year old and how he is driving me insane. But then I had the chance to go visiting teaching and look outside of myself. Mr. Jimmy is still a crabby bum who needs to be taped to the wall, but my annoyance at his mood doesn't seem to be so pressing now. I used to have a hard time with visiting teaching because I am so shy, but now I love it. I have the chance to serve and connect with other sisters, plus get to know about their needs. It's a wonderful program.

I love the sisters I get to visit. They are all so much fun and easy to talk to. This morning I had the chance to sit and visit with one sister, whom is just adorable, and laugh over the crazy things kids do and the "joys" of pregnancy. It was great! And my kids actually played somewhat happily. We were able to catch up on things and just have fun talking about life and the Gospel.

Then we visited another sister who is having a hard time because she is very pregnant, her husband is up north working permanently, and she is sick and trying to take care of her young child. It was so good to visit with her and find out what we can do to help. I found out that her home teachers hadn't been coming so when I got home, I made some calls to make sure someone is going to check up on her in the elders quorum and get the woman a blessing, which she could use. And my companion IS going back over there with her husband to help change a light bulb that is difficult to reach. It all may seem like small things, but we'd never have known how this sister needed help if we hadn't gone visiting teaching. I am so glad we are aware now.

I love visiting teaching. It gives us a chance to build relationships with various sisters in the ward. We can socialize and have fun. And we get to talk about the gospel together and share our views and testimonies. Plus when someone has a need, we can become aware of it through our visiting and help care for that person. Is there a better chance for service than that? I don't think so. By serving we also take a look outside of our own lives and become more concerned for others. What's not to love?

2 comments:

Jarrod said...

I love when you guys come to my house...it is a nice break. You are so sweet and I know you are shy but when you teach in RS no one would ever know. Thank you for being a great home teacher, I look forward to your visit each month.

MyDonkeySix said...

I love to visit you. You are so cute and fun! And I've long gotten over my shyness thanks to LOTS of teaching! Thanks again for letting Rachel come play today! Don't go crazy at work!