Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Twilight Hysteria

There are just some things I don't get in life. Leg warmers, men with perms, skin tight jeans, afros, pregnant women in bikinis, etc. These just don't make sense to me and leave me wondering "What the heck?"

The latest thing I don't get is the mass hysteria caused by the "Twilight" series and upcoming movie. I can understand teenage girls ogling over the "dreamy" Edward, but I can't fathom grown women doing it. I've heard many a woman talk about how sexy Edward is and how they would leave their husbands for him in an instant. What the heck? Is your marriage that bad that you would jump into the arms of a hundred year old vampire who acts like he is sixteen? How does your husband feel about this? I am sure this is great for his self esteem and your marriage relationship. I just don't get it. And what about the scripture that states something along the lines of looking upon a woman and lusting after her is committing adultery? Does this rule not apply to women? I think it does. It's a subtle fantasy that can lead to dangerous consequences, even if the character desired is fictional. And how many of these women would kill their husbands for fantasizing over Bella? C'mon. What the heck?

I will admit, I have read the "Twilight" series, except for the last book. I found them intriguing, but kind of lost interest with each book. There always seemed to be the same plot set-up. Bella, the heroine, gets herself in some major trouble and has to be saved. The question of her becoming a vampire is dragged out, as is the conflict of her being in love with a vampire and having a werewolf for a best friend. It got old after awhile. When I heard about the last book coming out, I was intrigued. But then I heard about the plot, which involved Bella's experiencing lots of sex as a vampire with Edward (after they were married), and I thought "No thanks." Why would I want to read that? I heard mixed reviews from people. Some loved it while others hated it. I think Stephanie Meyers kind of just gave up with the last book. Granted, I didn't read it, but that's because the premise completely turned me off from it.

As for Edward, I've never thought him dreamy and sexy or someone I'd leave my husband for. See there isn't anyone I'd leave my husband for because, um, I love my husband deeply and have made sacred covenants that reflect that. So thoughts like that never cross my mind. And Edward just seems a little too intense and creepy for me. I dated a guy at BYU who we affectionately call "Rebound Boy". He was always calling me and planning activities for us to do. He was always trying to take control and got very upset when I was unavailable. He always wanted to know what I was up to. Can you say stalker? I ended that relationship because I was being suffocated and I found my true honey, my husband. But I didn't like the little taste I got of being around someone like that. Edward seems kind of controlling, like Rebound, to me and women fall head over heels for him because it's sexy and shows his love for Bella? What the heck?

I know people are freaking out over the upcoming movie. I've seen previews and it makes me want to gag. It seems like a movie that takes itself too seriously. Let's have everyone look pale and pasty with bad stark lighting and they can all talk dramatic. Ugh. It's like some horrible teenage love movie with a disease. And grown women are going ga-ga over this? What the heck? I just don't get it. But then I was never one to throw myself at movie stars. I had those crushes as a teenager and that ended when I joined reality. So I don't understand grown women fantasizing over crushes and I don't agree with it. I am so sick of hearing about "Twilight". It's almost worse than the election campaigning.

So in honor of the all mass hysteria, I am leaving a you.tube link to my favorite "Twilight" spoof trailer.(the fist on the list) It is hilarious and makes knowing about the books almost worth my time.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That you tube clip was funny! I love it when they run into the glass. That was great.

annjeanette said...

I agree with what you are saying. The books have had that same effect with people here. And although I loved Twilight, didn't love the next 3. And I am going to see the movie, but I am not weird obsessive about it. I am just going because it will be the first time since we moved here that I'll be going out with a girl friend. I was totally fine with waiting until it came out on DVD, but she asked and I said okay. Anyway, I also don't understand people wanting to leave their husbands. hmmmm....