Monday, November 24, 2008

My Little Superman



I am so proud of my little Superman. Yesterday turned out to be quite the ordeal for the poor little guy and he handled it all so bravely.

After lunch the kids were playing outside, which they do most days. All of a sudden I heard hysterical crying from Jimmy. He had gotten his fingers shut in the back gate. The kids had been playing with it even though I had told them it wasn't a toy. At first I thought he would get over it, but after attempting to console him and seeing he wasn't calming down, I started to worry. His fingers began to swell and the crying increased. I started to wonder if his fingers were broken. So I packed everyone up and headed to the church to tell Marshall that we were off to InstaCare. Poor Jimmy really wanted his daddy, but Marshall had tithing settlement all day. Our First Counselor offered to send the girls to his home so they could play with his family. I am so glad I took the offer because Jimmy and I had a long wait at the doctor. Apparently everyone gets sick on Sunday. But after much crying and some pain killer, Jimmy conked out in my lap as we waited.

He was such a trooper at InstaCare. He really wanted to go home after he woke up, but I told him we had to see the doctor. Shortly after our name was called so we could go back. He had insisted on having a band-aid on his finger and thanks to swelling it had to be cut off so the doctor could look at it. Jimmy was not pleased, but endured. Then we had to get x-rays. He started crying when the technician put the little apron on him, but we finally got him calmed down after telling him repeatedly that he had to wear it for the "special pictures for his bones." Since I am pregnant, I couldn't be with him during the pictures, but he was brave and listened to the woman as she posed his fingers each time for an x-ray. Poor little guy.

It turned out that he doesn't have any broken bones. Whew! But his fingers are badly bruised. So he has to wear a finger brace on the most badly hurt for a week. He was not happy at all when they put the brace on his finger and insisted on having it off. I explained it would help his finger get better and he finally accepted that answer. The finger that has the brace is one of his beloved "sucking fingers", but he has done so well with it being off limits. I thought he would wake up in the night in pain, but didn't.

He has been so brave and tough. What an ordeal for an almost three-year old. I am very proud of him. And also very grateful to the family that watched my girls while I was gone for a few hours at the doctor. What a day! What blessings!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ahh, poor Jimmy. I'm glad nothing was broken. He is a super brave boy.

Anonymous said...

What a brave little 'superman'. It's never fun when the little ones get hurt. I am glad he is doing better. Have a great thanksgiving!