Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How Times Have Changed

I never would have thought I'd see the day when I would be called a bigot for believing that God ordained marriage to be between a man and woman. Wow, how times have changed. It has been amazing to me to see the out pour of hate from people of differing views since the whole Proposition 8 issue in California. What I find most ironic is how people rage against the LDS church for being "closed minded" and "intolerant" and yet they themselves express those same feelings towards those who would stand in the way of their beliefs. Am I no longer entitled to my own opinion? Must I convert to the raging masses in order to be considered fair and tolerant? That really doesn't make sense.

Let's talk about tolerance. I think the church has done a magnificent job in handling this whole issue. It has been dealt with in a delicate manner. Members have used non-violent means to further the cause by standing on street corners with signs and making calls concerning the vote for Prop. 8. So has the opposing side, along with some protests, rock throwing, spray painting, and nasty words. Who is the more tolerant, I wonder? If we look at history we can see what real bigotry is. Think about the Catholic conversion of pagan peoples to the church. It was either join or die. Or what about the Civil Rights movement? Protesters used non-violent means, but were often met by fire hoses, attack dogs, and police brutality. The last time I checked, the LDS church hasn't met any protesters with such violence. And yet we are accused of being intolerant and evil. Hmmm.

I am also amazed at the members of the church who are torn over the issue of gay marriage. How can the brethren be so cruel? How can we say we are Christ-like and yet deny these people the right to marry? None of that matters. The simple fact is that the prophet has spoken on the issue and the case is closed. One either follows the prophet or does not. That's it. And by following the prophet one is not a mindless drone. We all have the ability to seek revelation concerning any doctrine passed down by the brethren. We can know for ourselves that it is true. This is a perfect example of how "many are called, but few are chosen." Those in the last days that cannot find the strength to stand up with the prophet, no matter how difficult, will not be counted among the righteous. Harsh, but true. Just read the scriptures.

Now I may sound a bit blunt, but to me there is no debate. I follow the prophet. But this issue is also very near and dear to my heart. My step-brother has been living in a same-sex relationship for many years. Does that make me love him any less? No. That would be foolish. I love him just the same. We both know where each other stands and yet we still have a good relationship. Why? Because we respect each other's differences and beliefs. Respect is the key, something that is lacking in our modern society. I love my brother and think the world of him and wish him all the happiness possible.

So call me whatever hateful names you wish. I don't care. It will not shake my faith in God or my determination to follow the prophet. Without God I am nothing and so I will never stray from Him. I will hold fast to my beliefs and respect those of others, even if that makes me a bad person in the eyes of the world.