Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful List


Thanksgiving is upon us. I've been pondering a lot about what I am grateful for and here are a few things, in no particular order, that I have come up with:

1. Motherhood/ my children: My life would be so void without my dear sweet children. I know they often push my sanity to the extreme, but I wouldn't want my life any other way. My children challenge me and force me to grow and change into a better, more selfless person. They light up my life with their smiles, jokes, laughter, and kisses. Before I was active in the church I had planned out my academic and professional career to a "t". I wouldn't change my life now for any amount of credentials or worldly recognition. My job is the best in the world.

2. My husband: I don't think I will ever run out of good things to say about him. He is a gem and a dream come true. He is my perfect match and makes me a better person by knowing him. He has a great calming influence in our home and always strives to be righteous. I am so grateful that he is a worthy priesthood holder and can use his priesthood at any time if needed. I love that he can always take me to the temple. He is an amazing father too. He loves to play with the kids and cares about them so much. Being bishop has kept him busy as of late. Today Anna woke up in tears because Daddy was at church last night and already at work today and she wanted to see him. She missed him so much and being the great dad he is, he came home for a few minutes just to give her a hug. And although his calling as bishop is challenging, I feel very proud and in awe that he has lived worthy of such a calling. He is a good man whom I love deeply.

3. My husband's job: We have an income! What a blessing as I see those around me who struggle. I feel so blessed that we can provide for our family. It may not be as fancy as some, but we can still take care of our needs. And by my husband having such a great job, I can be at home with the children. I would just die if I had to send them off every day to daycare and go to work. I would miss out on so much. Although I may complain at times, I cherish my time with my children at home.

4. The Gospel: Oh how I would be lost without it! My life would be so different and I would not know the joy I do now. I am sustained and uplifted by living the gospel every day. And I would be lost without the guidance of the Spirit. Just last night as I was putting the kids to bed and getting frustrated with them, I had the chance to pause and reflect, thanks to the Spirit, on what a privilege it is to be a mom. No one else can do the job I do for my children as a mother. Little whisperings like that keep me going and remind me of my importance and worth. And without the Atonement and the Savior, I would be destined for misery. What more can I say?

5. Needs Met: So often as I clean my house or snuggle with the kids on a cold day I think about how blessed I am to have a roof over my head. A place to protect me from the elements and a place to call home. What a blessing that we have such a beautiful home where the Spirit dwells and we all can be protected. I also feel so grateful each week when I go grocery shopping and feel the satisfaction of being able to provide food for my family. My husband's job makes this possible, but what a great feeling it is to know what we have food storage and full cupboards. Also clothing and shoes to wear. I don't have to go out and kill our dinner or sew our clothes. We can go to the store and afford such things.

6. Friends: What would I do without my friends? Those who I email from a distance or who live nearby. They keep me sane, lift me up, and bring sunshine to my life. I love them all and am so grateful for each one. They understand me and my life and offer great support, love, and inspiration. I'd be less without them.

These are just a few things I am grateful for. The list could go on and on. Another benefit of the Gospel is being able to more easily see the blessings we have in life.

I hope you all have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving!

No comments: