Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Blessings of Sisterhood

Today marks the beginning of tithing settlement and any woman who has been a bishop's wife knows all that it entails. Lots of long Sundays and weeknights. It's our first time going through it and I am excited to see how well I fare. But more than anything, I am so grateful today for the women who have gone through all this before me and can offer some sympathy and compassion.

As the kids and I were leaving church, we ran into our second counselor's wife. She has raised her children and has many grandchildren, but she put in lots of experience as a young mother holding down the fort while her husband served in various busy church callings. This sweet sister came up to me and inquired about how I was doing. She then mentioned it being tithing settlement time and how it is always an ordeal. She said "It can be a great spiritual experience for you husband, but often not so much for you because you are busy trying to keep the spirit and stay sane." What? How did she know that's how I often feel as I support Marshall in his calling. It's so nice to know I am not alone and other women have felt this way. In fact when we arrived to church I told Marshall I had brought the spirit of contention with me, meaning two out of our three children were driving me nuts. Jimmy wanted to wear a Spider-man shirt to church and I refused. This he did not like, but we finally found a suitable church shirt we both agreed on. Then Anna insisted on having her shoes velcroed to the tightest possible setting, but claimed she can't do it herself. So I did it for her, but after a few times of her playing with them and wanting me to fix them, I left her to her own abilities. This caused much weeping and wailing. We can't go through one Sunday morning without someone hating me.

But this sister understood! She gave me a hug and told me to call her if I needed anything. I told her I just might call her to keep me sane and she chuckled because she knew exactly what I was going through. I am so grateful for the love and compassion shown to me by our dear sisters. Many of them have been bishop's wives and those who haven't still know what it is like to raise small children. It's nice to talk to my friends at church and know I'm not the only one ready to sell my kids some days. Or the older sisters who can commiserate with me about the uncomfortable last few months of pregnancy. I so appreciate their love and concern for me. I would be so lost without them and our sweet interaction on Sundays and during the week. What a blessing it is to be a part of Relief Society and be strengthened and uplifted by my association with these sisters.

No comments: