Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Just a pet?

This morning as I was waiting to see the doctor at my monthly baby check-up, I had fun reading a brain candy magazine, "People". I call it brain candy because it's full of mostly useless knowledge that is interesting to know, but not very important at all. Just a fun read. Anyhow, I skimmed through the celebrity highlights page where all the engagements, birthdays, births, divorces, deaths, etc. of the great egos are listed and was shocked to come across the death announcement of Tori Spelling's 11 year-old dog. Um, it's a dog and it's in the celeb death column. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

First off, like I said, it's a dog. Who cares? Secondly, it's Tori Spelling. I think I've only seen her in "Beverly Hills 90210". The woman can't act, but we still should care about not only her, but the death of her dog. I don't think so. It's just another way of showing how completely insane people are when it comes to their pets.

I had two cats growing up and I loved them. We had so much fun playing with them. There is something very calming about holding a purring cat in your lap. (But I can't do that anymore because I am now allergic to them.)I was sad when they each died, but I got over it. They were my pets. They were good animals, but pets die.

It amazes me how people treat their pets like family, their own flesh and blood, their children. Who needs to have kids when you can buy a dog, dress it up, and pamper it? Of course, it has stinky breath, is hairy, won't say "I love you" or hug you in a tender moment. I know there is a huge market out there for pet lovers who treat their animals like family, but people, pets are pets, not humans. So stop acting like idiots. I don't want to read about your pet dying in a celeb obituary column. I guess that is what I get for getting my fix of brain candy.

1 comment:

Evil HR Lady said...

Hey, I'm still crying over our cats being eaten by coyotes.

Ummm, maybe not.