Saturday, August 30, 2008

TMI

What is it with women and TMI (too much information)? It's not like you hear men going around complaining about their sex lives, bowel movements, or tender chests. Maybe I hang out with the wrong kind of men, but I just don't see it happening. But lots of women I know don't have a problem sharing all the details of their lives. Asking "How are you?" can result in all sorts of interesting and unwanted tidbits.

A few of my friends are pregnant and we talk about some of the not so fun things about pregnancy. But some of them think it's a chance to talk about it all, mostly sex. "I feel so bad for my husband. I don't know how he puts up with me. I'm just too tired to do anything with him at night." Girl, I know how that baby got there, but I really don't want to think about it. Don't tell me what goes on behind closed doors. There is a reason why we close those doors. Okay? I am totally cool with talking about the raging hormones that come with being pregnant or pms-ing. Sometimes I think I am going insane and super emotional and have no idea why. But as to the other things, just don't share.

Or what about complaining about husbands and their bodily functions? "Sometimes I wonder if he is even aiming when he goes to the bathroom." Ewww. First off, he's not five so don't make him sound like he just got potty trained. It doesn't reflect well on him. Second off, next time you come to my house and he uses my bathroom, I'm going to be scared to see what I find. Don't tell me about his sex drive, gas, bathroom habits, eating habits, etc. We all have our moments of not being glamorous. It's life. But we don't need to share those moments about ourselves and others with anyone else. Those things should be kept private for a reason, especially if you respect yourself and your spouse. There should be an unspoken agreement. "Hon, don't tell anyone what I look like first thing in the morning and I won't spill the beans about you gas." Just common sense. There is a reason why we have TMI, but don't make me use it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I remember Monica giving a lesson in relief society and her telling a story of someone who used to talk bad about their husband to her friends and then he was put in as their bishop. And the friends had a hard time accepting him as their bishop because all they could think of was the bad things she had said about him. Sometimes things are just better left unsaid.