Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mr. Calm and Mrs. Spazz

I think my husband and I are the perfect combination. We have similar tastes and opinions, which allows us to be able to have fun together and avoid major fights. We both like Broadway, games, loathe camping, dislike dogs, love food, and love to spend time together. But we also are different. We do disagree on things and that adds some spice to our marriage. I think I would go insane if I was married to someone just like me. It would probably end in murder.

Today I am grateful that my husband and I handle situations differently. Sometimes I want to scream when he remains calm in a crazy situation. He is very much like his father in that regard. I want him to react, but I'm glad he doesn't. For instance, yesterday morning the sink was clogged. It does that periodically because it is evil and hates me. I had water leaking below and nasty water filling in both sinks. After plunging for 20 minutes, I had little success. So I called my sweet husband and he came home from work to help. I was ready to take a hammer to the pipes below and then call a plumber. "Let's just blow it all up and get a new sink! I hate this stupid thing!" I was busy imagining having to spend tons of money on fixing the satanic sink. No, I never over-react. Then the voice of reason came home, all calm and relaxed. I had to take Anna to the bus while he worked on the sink. He told me "Don't worry. It'll be fine." When I came home it was fixed. Marshall had taken a pipe off to get the clog out and put everything back together. The mess was cleaned up and the washing machine washing the towels he had dirtied in his repairs. (Yeah, I know I'm lucky.)It was done and he was fine. I am so glad he is Mr. Calm when I am Mrs. Spazz. I just like to react to things, but it is good to have someone around who says "Okay, now let's fix the problem. The world isn't ending today."

Though in my defense, I admit that I am there to be the voice of comfort and calm when things get crazy for him. I think I can count on one hand how many times Marshall has come to me stressed in our 8 years of marriage. That's okay. I am glad I can help him when he needs it. I am glad we have the relationship we do. And I'm glad we're different. I am sure I do make him chuckle sometimes and he may wonder if he is married to Chicken Little. "The sky is falling!" But life would be sooooo boring if I were any different!

4 comments:

judy said...

My sweetie & I would have been divorced years ago if we were both like him. I'm Mrs. Calm and he's Mr. Over react to everything! But....we do balance each other and we're still going after 44 years. Keep up the good work you two! Judy

p.s. You go Mr. Handyman, but watch out for after Mrs. Project has the baby!!

MyDonkeySix said...

I love your comments, Judy. I like the idea that we balance each other out with our differences. I always think Marshall and I would be the perfect person together.

Anonymous said...

I think you need "mr men" characters for Mr Calm and Mrs Spazz!

MyDonkeySix said...

Mean Aunt, that would be awesome!