Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dreaming the Impossible


This year for my birthday I decided that I am going to get myself a new swimsuit. Yeah! What a fun present, right? What else can I think to do to torture myself? Maybe I'll call the doctor and ask him if I can do a birthday PAP smear too!

Seriously, I hate shopping for a bathing suit. It's not that I hate my body. I mean, I wish I was smaller, but that has something to do with having a baby and for some reason it takes a little bit of time to lose the weight. Whatever. I hate bathing suit shopping for the same reason that I hate dress shopping. It is almost impossible to find a suit I like and that is modest. You see, the fashion world has decided that if you have a shapely figure, you must be on the chubbier side. And if you are smaller then you don't have a chest or hips. However, my body doesn't conform to the masses. I have a bust, hips ,and smaller waist. (Oh I would have been a hit in the 40's and 50's!) So when I try on a suit that fits my bust, the rest of me is lost in a mass of fabric. I've tried the tankini suits, but then the whole issue of support is a problem. Not to mention finding a modest top. Please no accidental boob slips happening at the pool. I don't want my in-laws, whose pool we use, to know me that well.

My husband just bought a new bathing suit. I think it took a hole ten minutes. Five to pick out swim trunks he liked and five to try them on. Wow! Not hard. Just get a pair of shorts that are made for water. It was so unfair!!!! I mean, I've come to terms with being a woman, the hormones, the period, the pregnancy pains, childbirth, PAP smears, and all that jazz, but can not something be made easier? Would it have ruined some great eternal plan if bathing suits were made for women who had bodies that justified them being called such? Come on people!

Still, I will hope. I will dream that I will find "the perfect suit" in the first store I step into on my search. (Okay, I've already searched some stores, so I should say the first store I step into next time I continue my search.) It could happen. It really could. Just as likely as me getting a check in mail for a million dollars. It's totally possible.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I do not like swimming suit shopping unless it is for my kids! It is so easy to find something wrong with everyone I try on.
Plus the selection here in
St.George is not the best. You can do it though.
Good Luck!

Michelle said...

Try this place. They have super cute, modest swimsuits for a good price. You will probably have to copy and paste the link in your address bar. I don't know how to actually put the link in here.

http://www.landsend.com/ix/overstock-liquidations/Women/Swimsuits/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=83~134&visible=1~1~1&store=ov&sort=Recommended&pageSize=12&tab=8

annjeanette said...

Sue, you must check out the swimsuits at Land's End.com. I love the one I got there. They have a great selection and you can get them very modest. Good luck! We all feel your pain!

mean aunt said...

Sue--
LandsEnd.com, seriously. They have suits for all sizes, shapes and modesty levels. There are even underwire tops.

MyDonkeySix said...

Okay, I will try Lands End. The vote is unanimous. Thanks!

judy said...

You cracked me up Sue with your bathing suit shopping torture, then a birthday PAP smear! You are so darned funny! I love it.