Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Embracing April

Happy April Fool's Day! I don't have any good jokes to play, but I would be tickled pink if President Obama got up and said, "April Fools! I was just pulling your chain on that whole economic plan!" Or better yet, "April Fools! I didn't really win the election!" But I digress.

April is the best month ever. It's the first real month of Spring. Flowers in bloom, trees budding, and birds singing. Easter, one very great holiday, is usually in April. General Conference takes place on the first weekend of the month. For our family it means the traditional trip to Golden Corral for a before-Saturday-morning-session breakfast buffet. And April 1st means my birthday is only 17 days away.

This year I'll be turning the big 3-0. Whoopee! I seriously don't have an hang-ups about it other than that I find turning 30 really odd. I mean, I've noticed my body getting older in some ways, but how can I be 30 when I feel like I'm only a few years out of college? Granted, I do have four kids, a house, and a husband who is a professional, but I'm still like in my mid-twenties, right?

I had a friend, who when she was nearing her 30th birthday, freaked out about the big change. She was desperate to find something big to do before she hit thirty. I think she ended up going para-sailing or something. All I remember was her coming to my house one night in a panicked state because I had to help her think of something amazing to accomplish before her life apparently ended at thirty. (Why this burden fell on me, who knows?) Personally, I thought she was insane. Like I said, I still feel like I am in my mid-twenties. Nothing wrong with feeling young! And I am not worried about not having won the Noble Peace Prize or ended world hunger before April 18th comes around. Here's a little secret about my life, I am exactly where I wanted to be when I hit thirty. I have everything I ever hoped to have as an adult. Sure, millions would be nice, but I have the amazing husband and adorable kids I always dreamed about. I'm not freaking out at all.

So I embrace April Fools Day! It means my 6 year-old is going to try to play a joke on me that will be darling, General Conference and Easter are coming, and I'm turning 30. What's not to love?

2 comments:

judy said...

Let me share a secret.....you are always going to feel in your twenties! It's wonderful, except when a 65 year old body won't keep up with the 24 year old spirit. But just keep going. As long as you feel great inside, you've got it made!! Happy Birthday soon!

Lempskies said...

Happy 30th soon! I only feel old when I go to weddings & realize that my dress, invitations, everything, would be so out of style now.
I felt the same as you when I went to my 10 -yr. reunion. I was proud of what I had to show for 10 yrs. A great little family, a good education, a home, & a very happy life.