Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It gets better, right?

Jimmy has been, how shall we say, on-the-verge-of-being-tied-to-a-chair crabby today. This did not bode well when we had to go to the store. It's Rachel's birthday and we needed to get some supplies to have cake and ice cream for tonight. All went well with our trip, minus a few tears, until Jimmy picked up a big $15 bag of party favors and treats that he swore he had to have. I refused and he began to throw such a tantrum that he ended up throwing himself on the floor and getting hurt. Oh, but he wasn't stopping there.

Lately when Jimmy doesn't get his way he has been asking for "Daddy". Since Marshall is currently out of town, Jimmy had a really hard time going to bed last night without his daddy. (Not that he does it a few nights every week when Marshall is at church. Go figure.) So Jimmy was tired and he knew his daddy was gone from St. George. Like any calm three year-old who doesn't get his way, he began to scream for his daddy and run away from me. I couldn't just leave the cart with Jacob, so I was stuck between Jacob and Jimmy. Of course, I see now that I should have just followed after Jimmy with the cart. The closer I would get to Jimmy, the farther he would move away from me and the louder he would scream "I want Daddy!". People came up to him asking him if he was lost. I assured them that he was just having a tantrum, even though it looked like I was some random stranger who was trying to kidnap this child. Yeah, Jimmy didn't act like he knew me at all. Rather, I was a threat. (And, yes, I almost thought about acting like I didn't know who's kid he was. Just for a split second I toyed with the idea.)

Thankfully, a very kind Wal-mart greeter, who was an experienced grandma, came to my rescue. Together we coaxed Jimmy back to the cart, after he had ran down the isle to a different section during our attempts to get him. It was awesome! I mean, just one of those "great" mothering experiences. I love it when my child draws such attention to himself in the store and makes me look like some creepy bad guy. Truly awesome!

But on the good side, the Wii says my BMI is now in the "normal" range. I guess my being sick, not sleeping, and stressed approach to life is working. Not that I wouldn't rather be healthy and calm. Since we've already have had mass hysteria and I stayed up most of the night with a sick baby, today can only get better, right?

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

He sounds like Olivia. I got spoiled with Shayla because she never has (and still doesn't) care what she wears. The only reason she matches most days is because I make her change if she doesn't. Well, Olivia is exactly the opposite! She believes that if she wears shorts/pants/capris she is wearing boy clothing and will not be beautiful! Argh! I am about ready to sell her, actually, I'll just give her away! Today, is was mass hysteria because all of her shirts/dresses were dirty and had to be washed. I pulled out some pink, cute capris, but she would nothing to do with them. She took off all of her clothes, undies included, and sat on her bedroom floor, completely naked, screaming as loud as she could. I told her more than once that she had to at least put underwear on so the kids wouldn't be late for school. Well, I couldn't wait anymore and told her that I had to leave because they would be late. (the school is just a minute away.) Then she got more upset because she didn't want to stay here by herself. Oh geez. So, I had to take more time to get her to put something on and the whole time the kids are yelling from the car that they are going to be late. Honestly, I am about ready to throw all of the dresses/skirts away because I can't handle this much drama getting dressed. I don't care that she wears dresses but I do care about all the fits she throws when they are all dirty. Three year olds are terrible! (Not really, but you know what I mean.) Seriously, even though I tell her every day that she doesn't have to wear a dress to be pretty, she doesn't believe me! I am worried because she is only 3 and already doesn't believe me that she is beautiful! What am I going to do?! Anyway, this is waaaay long but I wanted you to know that I understand your pain and frustration! Thank goodness you had someone to help you. Oh, and Olivia also screams for her daddy when she is having a meltdown as well. As if their dads are going to side with them! At least motherhood is never boring, right? :D love you!