Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is that fair?

When it comes to tools and home repair, my husband would rather stick pins in his eyes than doing anything involving them. He has done some amazing things, like replace the garbage disposal and snake the toilet, but he has little interest in such handy man type things. When we first got married I assumed all men came with a love of tools. I mean, all the men I had known growing up did. So I was surprised that my husband would rather play the piano or read than fix a leaking faucet. I've gotten over the shock and now could care less. I love my husband and wouldn't change him for the world. I even get defensive if anyone gives him a hard time about his less-than-excited attitude towards home projects.

Thanks to the feminist movement gender roles have really gotten screwed up. We still expect our men to be gun slingin', dirt lovin' four wheelin', lawn mowin', hammer wieldin' tough guys. Anyone who doesn't LOVE these activities must be a little "fruity" or wimpy. Now is that really fair for men to have all that pressure because women surely don't anymore? It's all good to tease a guy about not liking to work with tools, but watch out if you joke with a woman about hating to sew. I'd run for cover! We have all these standards for guys, but don't expect women to be good at sewing, cooking, cleaning, canning, or nurturing anymore. That would be sexist and wrong.

Now I am not saying that women should love to do those things. I personally would rather have cramps for a day than try to sew a dress from scratch. I did it once and I've never done it again. I don't find joy in sewing clothes or anything. I'd rather buy my products already made. But I don't think women should expect men to be "tough guys" and get upset when they're not. No one's mocking them for not being Betty Crocker and Donna Reed rolled into one. We should hold each other to the same standard. If it's cool for me to not like sewing or scrap booking, then it better me fine for my husband to not enjoy puttering around the garage. It's only fair.

I am all for the good the feminist movement has done, but it has created a whole lot of bad, like generations of selfish, irresponsible, demanding, entitled, hoe-beasts. Women don't want to be held accountable or responsible for anything. It's not their job to do anything and if you tell them it is then you are trampling their rights. Leave the cooking, cleaning, child bearing, mothering, and overall nurturing to someone else! But men, those men better be strong, capable, tough, and loyal with a perfectly sculpted body. That's totally realistic, right?

I am glad I have the awesome husband that I do. I love him for who he is. I'm glad we let each other have our own interests without any mocking. I am glad we hold each other responsible for our roles as husband and wife, father and mother. We are a team and we expect each other to give their best each day. Sometimes that best changes with the kind of day we have, but we always love and support each other in all we do.

1 comment:

Stephanie Black said...

Very well said, Sue! One of the greatest gifts we can give our spouses is to let them be who they are without trying to fit them into a preconceived notion of what hobbies/interests/skills they should have.

My mother-in-law is a great example to me. She loves to sew and is excellent at it. I hate sewing. But never once has she in any way hinted that I should be able to sew--instead she willingly and generously uses her talent for sewing to bless my life, and she supports and encourages me in my talents.