Friday, April 3, 2009

A Great Easter Idea


Christ centered holidays that have competing commercial counterparts are often hard to keep children focused on the Savior. When asked about Christmas, my kids immediately state that it means we get presents from Santa. They are young and presents are super exciting and so the first thing on their mind. Easter, which is coming up, is another such holiday that has the Easter Bunny to compete with. I love the fictional holiday characters like Santa, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, etc. They should be allowed into a child's life because of their magic and fun. But Easter is a more difficult holiday to keep focused on the Savior when it comes to dealing with small kids. I mean, what is cooler than candy?

That is why I LOVED the idea given in this month's Ensign "Random Sampler". The person writing shared how they included Christ/ Gospel centered items in their children's Easter baskets to help keep the focus where it belonged. They put in scripture markers, pocket sized hymn books, CTR rings, pass along cards, etc. And their children really enjoyed it.

What a great idea? It's really a "duh" moment because it makes perfect sense, right? So this week I went to the store and got CTR rings and bracelets for my kids and a little picture of the Resurrected Savior coming out of the tomb for their baskets. They'll still be getting their usual candy haul from the Easter Bunny, I mean I don't want an all out revolution from the kids or their parents ;), but now there will be a few things to remind them of the true meaning of Easter. You should all give it a try!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Idea. I have often felt the same about the holidays. I think I will Join in on your idea and make it a new tradition in our home! Thanks.