Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Life's Big Question Answered

At a recent doctor's check-up, I had fun perusing one of those silly women's magazines while waiting for my appointment. Sometimes it's just fun to read them and say "This is so stupid! Why am I reading this?" It's nice to give the brain a break.

There was a little column on "What to tip your stylist". Thank goodness they had some space devoted to that great and pressing matter in my life. Every month when I go and get my hair cut at Hair Cuttery, I always fret over what to tip. It's such a worry in my life and now I can be at peace. Oh gag! Please tell me there are more important things to worry about there, please!

The person writing the article must go get their hair done in a fancy salon, nothing like my bargain priced Hair Cuttery. The advice was as follows: For the person who cuts you hair 10-15% tip, for the colorist 10-15% tip, for the shampooer $5, for the blow dryer person $10, and for the coat person $5. So you're telling me I should pay someone $10 to dry my hair? Um, I don't think so. My four year old can dry her own hair. Perhaps I could get her a part time job teaching others how to properly blow-dry hair. And I don't know if I've ever been anywhere that has a coat check, let alone a salon. I could go to the salon and pay for the actual services and then drop another $50 or so on tips, right? I don't think so. I live on this amazing thing called a budget and I don't pay more than $16 a month, plus tip, for my hair cut and I dye my own hair when I want. I think my stylist does a dang good job on my hair. I'm not about to pay someone to do things I can do myself. But I can't cut my own hair so I am willing to pay for that.

I like living in my simple world. It makes things much easier and is much kinder on my wallet. But I am so grateful that if I ever do go to a fancy salon, I know what to tip. I can rest assured I won't make a fool out of myself. Thank you to that wonderful magazine for covering such a crucial subject. I feel so enlightened.

No comments: