Thursday, September 11, 2008

Proud to be an American


It's September 11th and time for me to reflect on this great country we live in. I remember seven years ago when I went to work and heard there had been some airplanes that crashed into buildings. I had no idea and didn't understand exactly what had happened until more details came out. It was a scary day. I remember hearing that an airplane had crashed in Pennsylvania and calling to check on my family there. Details were sketchy and panic was great. I knew I was carrying our first child and wondered what kind of world she would grow up in. The thought that someone would willingly do what those terrorists did was hard to grasp for all of us. It was unheard of in our country and it was horribly wrong that all those innocent people lost their lives.

The world hasn't ended and life has gone on. Terrorism still exists. But during that time we bonded together as a country in a way we haven't in a long time. Every September 11th since the attack, I reflect on that day and what it means to be an American.

Being a historian I love to compare my time with other periods in history. I am so grateful that I live when I do and where I do. As a woman I enjoy so many freedoms that weren't allowed in the past and still aren't permitted in other countries. I can dress how I want. I can choose whatever profession I want. I can be educated. I can let my opinion be known. I can be seen as someone with intelligence. And all these things I can enjoy without fear of punishment or penalty of death. Overall, I can worship my religion in peace. I can have my own political view and not be forced to align with one candidate or another. I can buy a house, car, and food for my family. It always amazes me that in our country, one can rise from nothing and become something great. We aren't stuck in one economic or educational class if we are willing to work for improvement. I have running water in my home, fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh meat, dairy products, and restaurants galore. I don't have to make my clothes, I can buy them at the store. I have medical care available to me and my family, good care with doctors who have been properly educated. If I have an emergency, I can get a hold of my doctor quickly or I can go to the nearby hospital. I live in a safe neighborhood. I can drive my van to go on errands and on leisurely outings with the kids. My children have never known hunger or homelessness.

The list could go on and on. Many things haven't even been touched. The point is that the rights and freedoms we enjoy in the United States are not experienced in many other countries in the world. We are a blessed people. Our country is not perfect, but none is. We have far greater benefits living where we do than any other people. And for that I am grateful for the land I live in and the people who work to keep it free.

No comments: