Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wishful Thinking

My garbage disposal is broken. It has been for almost a week. (Remember, I told you my sink was evil? See.) I have greatly missed the use of my disposal. Cleaning up meals is a pain now because I have to scrape off all the food and make sure nothing goes into the sink while rinsing. The funny thing is I grew up without a disposal. Our first apartment in law school was my first time having a garbage disposal and I felt like we had moved up in the world. (I'm not hard to impress.) But I have become used to my magic friend and miss it dearly.

Every meal time I flip the switch to see if the disposal has been resurrected from the appliance world beyond, but my hopes are always dashed. Of course I try to convince myself that it sounds like the motor is trying this time so maybe next meal it'll work. Right. I just need to accept the fact that my garbage disposal is dead and move on.

The problem is two-fold. My husband is the man with the know-how to replace the disposal. Like I'm insane enough to try something like that on my own with three kids running around me? No way. But my husband dares to have a busy life and so I must wait for him to fix it. Hence, I hope and pray each time that I flip the switch it'll work again. Then there is the issue of cost. I really don't want to pay $200 for a new disposal. Yippee! What a fun things to spend money on! Sign me up for more partying. Maybe next month we can buy a new ceiling fan or toilet! Oh, please, oh please? I hope so! I know in the long run it'll be well worth the money to buy a new disposal, but it still hurts now to part with the dough.

Yep, I need to embrace reality and let things be. I do not have any cosmic powers that will magically make the disposal function again. It is gone. So now I just have to wait for Marshall to replace it. What a fun Saturday activity that will be!

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

I feel your pain. We just had to have a new one put in too because it died as well. Isn't it funny how much we rely on thing like that? Good luck to Marshall!