Friday, September 12, 2008

What's in a name?

I like traditional names for kids. Our children are Anna, Rachel, and James. I'm not one to use creative spelling or search out the most unusual names to shock people with. I'm not one to name my children after Book of Mormon characters. I love my children and want them to have happy lives. The best name I've heard is Foxton Doxey, the son of Marshall's mission companion. The poor boy will be called "Foxey Doxey" some day and let's just hope it won't scar him for life. But I am starting to have a greater appreciation for those odd name choices.

You see this new feeling has developed as a result of my plunging into family history. Oh how I wish my ancestors were a little bit more creative in their naming. I know it was tradition to name children after the husband or the grandfather, but it can make doing research very confusing. I have found the flip-flopping of the names Christian and Hans for four or five generations in one line. Okay, I get it, y'all like that name. Let's try something new! It makes things a bit tricky when one is trying to find someone and other people have the same name. The most frustrating is my great grand father Uriah, who also named his son Uriah. I have found the son, but am having the hardest time finding the father. I think he is hiding out or something. But if he had a different name, things would be easier.

That aside, I do enjoy genealogy. It helps to calm my nerves and do something good. On nights when Marshall is gone and I want to sell the children after putting them to bed, doing a bit of family research helps me relax. Must be that whole Spirit thing. But the names, I still wish they could use some more creative names and make my job easier. Oh well. Who can blame them? I like traditional names too. My ancestors are just going to make me work extra hard to help them. Stubborn folk! Good thing I didn't inherit any of their genes.

No comments: