Friday, September 26, 2008

Same old argument

Why are people so blind? Why must we call evil good and good evil to feel better about ourselves? When will they learn? I am referring to the article I read today about the 2009 Men on a Mission calendar. The calendar was started by Chad Hardy, who was excommunicated for this undertaking, in an attempt to shake up the "cookie-cutter image" of the LDS people. It features pictures of 12 men posing shirtless in black suit pants. Hardy states:

People like me are bound to stereotypes that don't fit. I think we can all have the same faith and still have different outlooks."

Last year's calendars sold nearly 11,000 copies and now that Hardy has been excommunicated, his popularity has grown. Shouldn't that say something about it not being of the Lord, but rather of the world?

Hardy has created quite a following and already has people clamoring to be a part of the 2010 calendar. This year's cover model, Cody Bloomfield, loves the idea of portraying Mormons in a new light:

"A lot of people think that because all our leaders are 90-year-old and stand behind podiums, we're all like that. But it's not all rules and organization. Young people in the church obviously keep the standards and the rules of the church, but we look at them differently."

Hello? Do you even go to church? It has a lot to do with rules and organization. Didn't the Lord say "my house is a house of order"? Why must we take off our shirts to show that we are not all old men? I'm not so sure about you keeping the standards, bud. We're not of God, we're just like the world. We need to be naked to show that we are unique and can think for ourselves. Who's the mindless sheep? How does that make you unique? Why don't you show me how you are an individual person with a unique personality or talents, but still are an active member of the church who brings his own gifts to the effort of building Zion? That's what I love about the church. There are people from all different walks of life that come together and bring their own rich experiences that add to strengthen the ward family and church. None of them has to expose themselves to feel better about who they are. And I thought the whole idea was to work towards being one, Zion.

Plans are in the making to feature female members of the the church in a calendar called "Hot Mormon Muffins: A Taste of Motherhood". Could we sound any more smutty? Lisa Wood, a mother of four, is eager and hopeful to take part in the new calendar.

"Mormons in general are taught not to judge," said Wood. "I've never been one that does anything by the norm and I'd much rather show that I'm an individual and still a good person."

Um, we do need to judge between good and evil and it seems like you're missing that whole idea. And I've met lots of church members who aren't the norm. Every ward has them and that is great. They add spice to the ward family. But why do you have to pose in a sexy calendar to make yourself feel like you're an individual or a good person? Doesn't make much sense to me. If you did feel like a good person, you wouldn't have to prove it to the world. You'd already know of your worth by living the commandments. And taking your clothes off doesn't make you unique because,honey, every woman has the same stuff you've got. Try defining yourself in a way that actually shows your individuality, okay?

I have no patience for this kind of garabage. These people aren't unique, they are the ones that are the "cookie cutters" of the world. They're doing what has been done for ages. They can justify it all they want, but they're not doing any good to themselves or the church. Don't bring my religon down to a worldly level and tell me it's in the name of art and expression. The Gospel was never meant to be of the world. You either rise above to live it, or fall short.

1 comment:

Evil HR Lady said...

But Sue! My rebelling shows I am unique.

When I took playwrighting at BYU, my classmates kept trying to add in swear words to their plays to "keep it real" and to show how creative they were.