Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Evil Bed

When my husband finally pulled himself out of bed at 7:10 this morning, he told me he was going to ban our bed from our room and sleep on pillows. It's not that my husband has anything against beds, it's just that our bed is evil. It has this power that makes it impossible to get up in the morning. I don't know if the mattress is laced with some sleep inducing drugs or the bed itself is possessed and uses invisible tentacles to keep its users trapped in perpetual slumber. All I know is that it is evil.

One pregnancy ago, there were two energetic and motivated people who would get up at 5:30 every morning to read scriptures, exercise, and work. It was a glorious time to reflect and recharge one's self for the day. But then the wife got pregnant and sick and those early mornings didn't happen. And the husband's calling and work somehow started to tire him out. Now it is a miracle if these poor souls can pull themselves out of bed before seven.

I could say it all has to do with the life changes we have experienced, but really it is because our bed is evil. It is just too comfortable. Who wants to get out of bed when they are snuggled under the covers? The cool Fall morning air blowing over you while you are nice and toasty in bed. Not to mention the fortress of pillows that surround me and keep me sleeping happily. Yeah, I'll leave that to take a hot shower and then freeze my bum off as I race to get dressed. I don't think so. It's all about the bed and the bed is a dark force of destruction, keeping me from reveling in my early morning peace.

The funny thing is that we still set our alarm for 5:30 every morning. And Marshall still reaches over every morning to turn it off and then we go back to sleep. Maybe one day we can escape the terrible grasp of the demonic bed and get up on time, but with the baby on the way I doubt that will ever happen. So beware of your bed and it's evil forces!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I will second that. I love being cuddled under my blankets when it is cool outside. We must protect ourselves from that evil/wonderful bed.