Thursday, October 2, 2008

It's Not Okay

Sometimes you have to wonder about people. What on earth are they thinking when they do stupid things? Are they even from this planet? Do they have a functioning brain? I'm referring to the article I read on Thursday morning about a former math teacher from Nebraska who was sentenced to federal prison for a sex crime with a 13 year old school boy. Excuse me while I go puke.

Okay, now I am better we can get back to the issue. This teacher, Kelsey Peterson, obviously has some serious problems, as seen in her statement about the "love affair". Peterson remarked:

"We didn't see age anymore. ...In my mind he quit being a teenage boy... to me, he was a man." (She was 26 and he was 13 at the time.)

Sweetheart, you need to get somethings straight. First off, I don't know what your experiences have been like with adult men, but I have yet to meet a 13 year old boy who would qualify as one. That is a lame excuse. Second, I don't care what your hormones tell you, but age is an issue. He is a minor. Um, that's against the law. So you need to get a brain and get over any inappropriate feelings you may have for the boy. It's wrong, wrong, wrong, even if you and the student think it is okay. It's still wrong.

Now Peterson feels remorse for the problems this has caused her family, especially her 9 year old daughter. That's great, but maybe she should have thought about the consequences beforehand. However, the general populous doesn't do that in this day and age. Look at all that is going on with the government bail-out program. Act now and justify later when you get caught. Everyone does it, right? So because this 12 year old boy was so "mature", Peterson can justify her little liaison. Excuse me while I bang my head against the wall.

When will people learn? Despite whatever excuses they can make, wrong is still wrong. Consequences do exist. That's part of life, part of the whole plan. I'd love to see people wake-up and do something novel like take the blame for their stupidity. No lame excuses, but the ability to say "Hey, I screwed up. There's no reason for my behavior. I need to be better and make things right." Wow. Wouldn't that be refreshing? Sadly, it's not realistic. So I guess I'll just keep being amazed at the never ending stupidity and lack of responsibility of the world I live in. Too bad I'll never run out of material.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

Okay, this has nothing to do with this, but with Anna's comment about walking home from school. I laughed out loud over that one! Seriously, where do kids come up with this stuff? Can I go back to being a kid where my only worry is that my neighbor may fall in love with me when he hears me singing?! Way too cute!