Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Why We Don't Have a Pet

I love animals. I grew up having two cats, a beautiful black and white Persian and a tan colored Tabby. I worked for many years for a man that had the sweetest Golden Retriever. I also had parakeets growing up and raised baby squirrels whose mom had fallen out of the tree and died. I wouldn't mind having a pet of my own now, but unfortunately my adult body has become allergic to pet hair. But more importantly, we don't have a pet now because my children are terrified of animals.

This fear doesn't stop our kids from periodically begging for a pet. Monday night they were on a big beg fest and desperately pleaded for a pet. I was almost sold on the idea so that I might actually consider considering it. However, that evening we took a walk to the park and came across a woman walking her dog, sans leash, and the terror began. Anna, being older and faster, just rode her bike out of the park. Rachel ran to my side and cried hysterically as she clung to me. And Jimmy jumped into my arms, crying and shaking violently. They were not pleased with the dog.

This wasn't a random occurrence. This happens most times when we run into animals. Every morning at the bus stop there is a dog brought by one of the moms. My kids keep as far away from it as possible and scream if it comes near them. (Personally, I find the one forty year-old mom who wears Daisy Dukes more terrifying than the dog. "Cellulite". Okay? We can age gracefully, people. But I digress.) There is also a cat that roams the neighborhood and we often see at the stop. He also creates great hysteria. Of course, as we walk away from the bus stop, Rachel and Jimmy inform me that they both like dogs and cats. Right.

So for now, no amount of begging and pleading will buy my kids a pet. The funny thing is that this morning I am taking a group of preschool age kids, mine included, to tour a pet store. Let's hope not everyone feels the same way about animals like my kids do.

No comments: