Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's the End of the World (okay, not really)


I love dessert. I could live on sweets. After every meal I crave something sweet. When my husband and I go out for dinner, I always have room for dessert. When I was reactivated in the Gospel, I was so sad to learn that I had to give up my most favorite dessert, Tiramasu, because it had coffee in it. (Well, no one forced me to give it up. It was my choice.) I could eat dessert by the table loads. When I go to some one's house for dinner, I am always curious if they made dessert and if it is good. Who cares about the meal, right?

Well now I have to be better and exercise some control. I found out yesterday that I need to start monitoring my blood sugar because I am border-line for gestational diabetes. Now this knowledge is nothing new. I've had this issue with my previous three pregnancies, but I only had to monitor my sugars with Anna. I guess my doctor in Indiana wasn't too worried about me.I have nothing against my doctor now. I think he is awesome and I can understand why he wants to keep tabs on me. So far my sugars have been fine. It's just the idea of having to prick my finger 4 times a day. It hurts! My kids find it fascinating and scary. "Mom! You're bleeding!" I assure them it's okay because it's just a little blood and I have to do it. I know, I could have regular diabetes and do this for the rest of my life. Or I could be my sister-in-law who has to go through all sorts of painful ordeals when it comes to her pregnancies. It could be worse. But going without treats? No that's just evil.

I found it rather amusing while I was waiting for my prescription for my lancets and test strips to fill that I came across a heavenly new body spray. I was wondering the store to kill time and thought I'd see what fragrances were there because right now my Vanilla spray makes me want to gag. I found the most yummy smelling spray. It's light and sweet. When I looked at the label it said "Frosted Cupcake Delight". Okay, not funny. So maybe if I can't eat tons of treats I can at least smell like one.

I know it's not the end of the world and I will survive monitoring my sugars. And I know it's worth every finger prick to have a healthy little guy come to our family in December. I just hope that if I do buy "Frosted Cupcake Delight" that I don't start drinking it out of desperation. I have to have at least some control.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

Sue, sorry to hear about the diabetes. No fun pricking your fingers! Ouch. Hope everything continues to go well and nothing serious results from the diabetes. I have to laugh, though, picturing the kids watching you do that! love annjeanette