Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Spam or Cream of Celery


VS.



Do you ever go grocery shopping and then the same day try to make dinner, but nothing sounds good? There is an abundance of choices and you know you should make something at home, but all you want to do is eat out? (Probably none of you ever feel this way because you all are more saintly than I.) I hate when this happens to me. It happens most often when I am pregnant or sick. Sometimes I give in and eat out; and sometimes I am good and cook dinner. There is just something about not having to cook or clean up. Food always seems to taste better when someone else makes it.

I explained to my husband that this is how I feel about the upcoming presidential election, with only a few twists added. I'm at home and have to make dinner, but my only options are SPAM and cream of celery soup. Since I am a vegetarian, the thought of SPAM just sounds nasty. Heck, even if I did eat meat, I wouldn't want to eat it canned. SPAM just sounds chewy, smelly, and pink. Yum! And as for creamed celery, why do they even make it? Celery lacks flavor and so creaming it will somehow make it taste better? As if it doesn't look like puke. No thanks.

So I am left with these two option to make dinner with. Neither one appeals to me. Both in fact make me want to gag. But there is no third option. Someone has stolen my wallet, the phone cord has been cut, and my car is dead. No take-out help will be coming! Prime rib isn't a realistic option (and I wouldn't like it anyway since I don't eat meat), but I would be happy with at least a box of Mac-n-Cheese. Yet I only have two options. I'm stuck with making a necessary decision I cannot escape. Talk about pure torture, at least to a person who likes to eat food that is palatable.

This is my analogy for the election. Neither candidate invokes any sense of passion or excitement in me for their cause. I dislike McCain a little less than I do Obama. But both just seem "meh". Maybe it's because instead of actually taking time to focus on issues, they focus on how they are better than the other. It's like watching and listening to a never ending commercial. Ah! It's like high school all over, "I'm better than you because. . . " Or maybe it's because I'm not impressed with their solutions to some of the major problems we are having. With some of Obama's ideas I wonder if he has actually thought them through. I have no political experience, but his tax plans seems completely insane. However, McCain doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed at times either. I don't want to hear anymore about bail-outs or how either candidate is to blame for their part in the economic crisis. Gag. Why don't they stop fighting and take a good look at the problems to see if they can come up with a reasonable solution? Novel idea.

What to do? I guess I'll sit and look at my can of SPAM and my can of cream of celery and hope and pray that one of them will jump out at me. Decisons, decisions, decisons.

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Great analogy, Sue. I'm so sick of this election too. Neither candidate is one I can get behind. Truly a choice between Spam and Cream of Celery. Bleh.

Anonymous said...

I think I would rather starve than have to make a choice. Just seems easier! Neither of them (The Candidates) appeal to me.

Anonymous said...

(I forgot to add to my remark) Now if You or Marshall wants to run for President, you'd get my vote!!!

annjeanette said...

Sam feels the same way, which is saying a lot because he is usually not tired of news and politics. Blah, is what I have to say.

judy said...

I'm thinking of writing in Bill O'Reilly (he's the only one who makes any sense to me) and Sarah Palin. The present candidates really don't seem ready to lead a country. I guess I'll have to start my own grass roots campaign for Bill.

Evil HR Lady said...

I've used your analogy about 8 times, so I thought I better tell you I was quoting you all over the place.

Michelle said...

I agree.