Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Promises, promises, promises

The other day I was driving in the van and listening to the news about the recent Obama rally in the Tampa Bay Ray's Stadium. The newscaster played a portion of the great one's speech. Hearing Obama's voice just made me want to stick my fingers in my ears and say "I'm not listening. Hummmmm." Thankfully, I didn't do that since I was driving and wouldn't want to crash, especially over Obama. Instead I changed the station. Does Obama make anyone else cringe? I just can't stand the man.

Later I switched back and heard some woman, maybe his wife, talk about how "we don't need four more years of . . .". I changed the station before she could finish. Why? Because I can't stand listening to garbage. I could be a politician. You just need to talk about how bad the other guy is and make lots of promises that can never be kept. That's how the game is played, that's how it always has worked.

I am curious about not needing "four more years of. . .". What? Economic trouble, war, terrorism problems, increased spending by the government, higher taxes, health care woes? Really now, we are going to fix all those problems with Obama as president? Does he carry a magic wand in his Hogwarts cloak that I don't know about. I'm smart enough to know if someone tells me they have invented a pill that will erase stretch marks and return my bust to it's 12th grade perkiness, that they are full of it. But I also know someone is telling a tall tale if they promise to fix all the major problems in the country too. Can they also make peanut butter brickle ice cream sold nationwide and not just in the little grocery store in Pennsylvania that I love? That would be nice.

It's all a game of who can make the best promises and convince the people that they'll actually do it. Too bad for McCain, but Obama has a lot more charisma and so is beloved by many people. (Not me. Listening to him speak is like fingernails on a chalkboard.) It doesn't matter what kind of promises these men make, they'll be spending the first half of their term, at least, dealing with whatever mess left by the previous presidency. That's always how it has been. Okay, it all really started with Bill Clinton. I'm still bitter at him. He was the first president I really remember being excited and aware about. I watched his inauguration in middle school and felt so proud to be an American. Then he had to go and be a nasty perv and dash my fond dreams of how wonderful presidents are. He's another one that makes me cringe, plus he reminds me of Ted Kennedy, the master of heebie-geebies.

Regardless, my point is that I am tired of this election. It seems like the promises and mud slinging get wilder every time. Gag. Enough of it! Tell me something you can accomplish that isn't ridiculous and won't cost me money. And if one of the two does come up with that magic pill, they will certainly have my vote.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

i agree. and you really mean that there isn't a pill that will erase stretch marks and bring back my bust?! golly, i guess i better start living in reality!