Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pumpkin Fun?

I love carving pumpkins. It is a tradition I grew up with and look forward to every year. The excitement of finding the perfect pumpkin. It has to be just right. I am all about round fat pumpkins. And then cutting it open and creating a cute jack-o-lantern. There is something so homey about a lit pumpkin. I love it! I always thought it would be fun to do with my children one day, but for some in my house it is just torture.



Rachel has made it known in past Halloweens that she does not care for the smell of the pumpkin. Her first time carving with us she actually gagged at the smell and ran away. Oh my. This year she insisted on watching it all, but plugged her nose the whole time, as you can tell.



I had hoped Jimmy would follow suit with Anna and actually like the activity. He sat in his chair the whole time, clutching his blanket and sucking on his fingers. He freaked out when Marshall put pumpkin goop on the table. When Jimmy wanted to walk past the pumpkin to get something I had to carry him lest the evil thing gooped him or something. But now that the process is complete, Jimmy really does enjoy looking at the jack-o-lantern.



That leaves Anna. We basically do pumpkin carving for her since she is the only one who enjoys it. She was sooo excited to do it this year. She loved de-gutting the pumpkin and was quite helpful. And she even designed the face for our jack-o-lantern. I am so glad she enjoyed herself. Maybe the others will eventually see the fun in it. Or maybe the new baby will one day like to join this fun tradition. One can hope, right?

No comments: