Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Second Most Wonderful Time of Year



It's the most wonderful time of the year! No, I'm not talking about Christmas, I'm talking about the holiday that comes second to the fun of Christmas, Halloween. Now that it is October, I can officially be excited. Not to mention the fact that the inside of my house has been decorated for Halloween for two weeks, I put up cobwebs on my bushes yesterday, and already bought every one's costumes. Today I found myself making ghosts out of white pillow cases to hang in our trees. I love Halloween and I love to decorate for it!

I learned to love holidays from the master of fun, my mom. We always went all out for all the the holidays, especially Halloween and Christmas. My mom was great at making inexpensive, but cute decorations. As a kid we had a big ghost, made from a white bed sheet, hanging out of our front tree. We also had a little cemetery in our yard made from pieces of flat board we had painted ourselves with the fictional names and dates of our dearly departed. The cemetery even had a white picket fence around it from left over fence. I was talking to my mom this morning and she told me how to make a ghost tree for next year, with white lights and little ghosts holding hands around a tree. It sounds adorable. The woman is just full of ideas for decorations.

I am glad to carry on the tradition for holidays in our home. Our kids get so excited for each holiday and it makes things so much fun. Jimmy has been wearing his Superman costume for two days. Rachel and Jimmy have been filling their Halloween pumpkins with toys in practice for the big night. You're only a kid once so why not party? And as a parent you can make holidays like Halloween fun for your kids and relive all the good times. Thanks Mom for giving my love of holidays and some creative genes to go with it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too love Halloween and I love to decorate my home for it.

Stephanie Black said...

Ooh, I love Halloween! October is one of my favorite months.